The Capital City bar has been collecting recipes at its Vista location for some time, but with the entry deadline of July 1 quickly approaching, they’re urging local homebrewers to get their recipes in before it’s too late. The winner, which will be selected this fall, will go on to brew their winning beer at the Upstate brewery.
Last year’s winning recipe was a vanilla oatmeal porter which was tapped at WOB and other locations across SC.
Want to enter? Here’s what you need to know:
- Recipes must be submitted by July 1 and will subsequently be approved for brewing by RJ Rockers. Brewers receiving the OK will be notified by phone or email.
- Recipes must be all grain.
- As far as ingredients, brewers must use White Labs California Ale Yeast 001. Rare hops that can’t be sourced locally are also out of the running. (RJ Rockers currently stocks Cascade, Tradition German, Warrior, Willamette and Czech Saaz hops.) Any Briess malts are acceptable, and adjuncts are OK as long as they are available in large quantities.
- Bottles entered for tasting must be between 11 oz. and 16 oz.
- All bottles and caps must be unmarked and have the entry number on a small piece of paper wrapped to the bottle with a rubber band.
Brewers must submit three bottles of their brew to WOB by Sept. 1 for judging. There are dozens of categories and subcategories to choose from.
For more information and to pick up an entry form, visit WOB in The Vista.